Sunday, January 8, 2012

Nicola Formichetti

Christopher Makos for Interview Russia
Vogue Hommes Japan
This shot of the Nico Panda by Christopher Makos for interview Russia is just fantastic. Nicola Formichetti is by definition a creative genius. I had my first glimpse of Formichetti in 2008 when Ash Stymes was on the cover over Vogue Hommes Japan. But it wasn't until 2009 when I found out he styled Lady gaga for an awards show with dresses by Gaultier and McQueen. At that point I was hooked. His creative style is beyond amazing. I don't watch award shows unless Lady Gaga is there because I want to see what she is wearing. The same goes for talk shows. If she's there I'm going to be watching. The meat dress, the human embryo, the amazing music videos that are "Bad Romance", "Alejandro", "Telephone", "Marry the night" which had a very interesting clay "Muscle dress" by Leeroy New. It's all wonderful. I felt a since of validation after he put her in Paco Rabanne and only days before I raved about that collection. My favorite shoot to date that Formichetti has styled was a shoot for Supreme shot by the one and only Terry Richardson. So simplistic (kind of) it was just great. I don't condone biting a Birkin bag. I do condone going naked with a skate board in one of the most amazing pair of shoes known to man. The "Lady Vase" 17 inch high heelless heels created by none other than Noritaka Tatehana. The picture of Lady gaga is one from the shoot done by Terry Richardson with the the Noritaka Tatehana heels.
Formichetti has indirectly educated me on a few designers I have never heard of until he put their stuff in the online collection he did for Gilt Groupe.
Supreme by Terry Richardson
Thru Formichetti I have found people such as Kermit Tesoro who like Tatehana creates avant-garde shoes with No heel. I love them. I find them to be innovative. Not futuristic like some people to think. Just because something is new, cool and strange does NOT make it futuristic. I hate that word.I feel as if that word used in fashion is people saying our time isn't good enough for something or that it is to strange for today. In truth people need to stop being afraid of fashion. You don't have to go out like Lady gaga everyday but try something new, different, crazy!













-Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment